November 3, 2011

Sewing 101

As if I don't already have enough "projects" I try to work on (photography, scrapbooking, writing, etc.), I've decided to give sewing a try.

I remember as a teenager (15 years or so ago... and I can't believe I just wrote that number...) I wanted SO BADLY to make my own clothes. I always had design ideas in my head, and I could never find the styles I wanted to wear.

My brain no longer produces the design ideas it used to. Maybe it's due to a lack of exercise in that area, maybe my brain is too full with other stuff, maybe I'm too distracted by my two-year-old, or maybe I ran out of ideas. I don't know. But what I do know is that I still want to sew.

So, I bought a sewing machine.

It's an old one (likely made before I was born), but it's a workhorse. And it came with a sewing table, which I didn't realize until I stood in front of the machine connected to the table, was absolutely necessary. Okay, maybe it's not absolutely necessary, but I know it will make my life a lot easier.

I did my first little bit of sewing tonight, mostly to test if I could thread the machine without looking at the manual (I successfully did) and test if I could sew in a straight line (another success). After that I stopped. I didn't want to ruin the good mood I was in by making some horrendous mistake or realizing how much more I have to learn. For now, I am content with my small victories.

And I don't know if I'm reaching too far already, but my first project (goal) is to make an apron for my daughter. I have a pattern. I don't have fabric. And there are still a couple more things left to learn, but I think I can do it, and soon.

So, here is to some sewing success, and me not completely f***ing up this first project.

No comments: