November 12, 2011

Fall Tree Paper Craft

I worked on a project with Evelyn to pass some time this afternoon. She's been interested in having her hands and feet traced recently, so I came up with a fun craft that involved enough steps to keep her busy for half an hour or so. 

And I must apologize now for the poor quality of the pictures. I took them with my cell phone. I've just been lazy about grabbing the regular camera, and I wanted to focus on spending more time with Evelyn than arranging a photo set-up. Anyway...

I traced Evelyn's hands and arms onto a piece of paper. They are supposed to look like tree branches and tree trunks. Since Evelyn has been so interested in the tracing, she was quite good about keeping her hands still.


I cut up a few different colors of scraps of construction paper into little rectangular shapes, and I got out the stick glue.


Evelyn still isn't sure of how to use stick glue (it resembles chapstick a little too closely, which she is also obsessed with). So, I put some glue on the paper for her and let her pick out the scraps of paper to glue down.


After a little while of carefully gluing one piece at a time, she decided to dump a handful of the small pieces onto the picture. She covered her hands completely, but I still like the outcome. I'll just consider it fall colored trees at their peak, before the leaves begin to fall. (The colors of the paper in the picture below aren't quite right.)

No comments: